Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 2010 13:09:55 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: stainless steel coolant pipes
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

yes, would be interesting to see what manufacturers would say - they might freak out even. lol.

I also must say, there is a world of difference between 'new' and newish cars and 20 + year old cars.

You know....car magazines and Consumer Reports are evaluating new cars, and in the case of Consumer Reports cars and vans up to maybe 8 years old. I doubt they have much idea what the world of 25 + year old cars is like.

and actually .....Vanagons make GREAT older cars .. there are some cars ...say fancy german iron .....you do not want to be owning say, a late 80's something fancy BMW model when it has a serious problem ....that can cost thousands to fix , and mostly you don't see 20 + year old cars of that ilk on the road much. Just to expensive to repair for the common person after a while. .

but vanagons ...no end in sight baby ....we're making 'em better even as they get older.

oh....I am not some nut about 'old vives' tales' like ...oh ...ATF as a diesel fuel additive, or moth balls in gasoline or any goofy stuff like that. I don't even remember who turned me onto the machinist's oil trick - might have been a radiator shop. Just a little .... I put like a couple spoonfuls in a gallon jug of tap water ....then I pour in half a gal of a-frz, then half a gal of my water/machinist's oil.., etc. No big deal. Not talking about a qt in the whole van ....far less than that. Can't imagine that it changes any properties much at all except reduces corrosion. Heck ...'corrosion' itself is the main enemy. Everything is trying to revert back to the earth or the ocean. We can slow it down, we can stop it pretty much ...but chemically, whether from sunlight, or oxidation or whatever ....they're all trying to revert back to dust particles, and we get to stop or slow that process. I don't even let sunlight get on most of my stuff, and I air tings out constantly. It's fun.

nice to read your words . Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: <mcneely4@cox.net> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>; "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 12:11 PM Subject: Re: [VANAGON] stainless steel coolant pipes