Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 May 2010 12:59:24 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: The idle speed controller is not in the ECU on the 2.1
Comments: To: mkriley@FUSE.NET

At 10:57 AM 5/7/2010, Mike Riley wrote: >Boy this has me excited! >I would love to get rid of the rats nest of stuff for idle control in the 1.9. >Is there a "How to" anywhere on the web? would anyone consider making one >mike

Have you checked the prices for the controller and the ISV (Idle Stab Valve)?

In my experience with my '84 the timing control worked perfectly well, though I presume it wasted a little gas. And the newer system is a good deal more complicated.

But to put one in, you have to connect ten wires to the controller circuit from various places including the power steering pressure switch. You need to take air from after the AFM and before the throttle (easiest way probably to use a 2.1l rubber intake elbow) to go to the ISV and connect it into the intake manifold so the output air can go there. Bypass idle stab from the 1.9 system by plugging the two plugs together and you've finished. The ISV is rubber-mounted on top of the manifold, and the controller and its socket and wiring are forward of the right taillight assembly, reachable by removing it. No law I know says either one has to be right there, though I note that the controller unit is mounted in a fairly cool place

This is the condensed version, obviously.

Yours, David