Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 May 2010 15:44:58 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stutter and Low Batt
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM>

Is your thinking that your charging and two-battery problem is related to the stalling, or difficult idle ?

it could be I suppose. to be sure, you could 'back up' to just the one battery ,undo the rest, and see if that helps. I suspect you could be having to separate problems, and battery charging is not related to the idle issue.

and I'll tell you what I like .. so there is No Doubt about what battery is getting charged how much etc... is Full Manual Control. I leave my starting battery fully stock. I wire the aux battery in parallel with a simple heavy duty on/off switch.

nothing could be more reliable or simple. Ya fire up the van, and when it's running and changing, you close the switch to charge # 2 batt. when you shut off the van, you open the switch ....isolating your aux battery so as you draw from it you're not affecting the starting battery.

no electronic controls. Nothing fancy. About as simple and reliable as could be.

for an embellishment....make the cable to the # 2 batt battery cable size, and put a switch on the starting battery .. then you can start of either battery, or even both at the same time.

every time you add 'automatic controls' .........you loose, you loose other capabilities. just like say ....car locks that lock automatically as soon as you drive. Totally stupid. Causes people to get locked out of their car sometimes.

so the manual switch on the batteries is very low tech .. but you have FULL control , plus more than one mode.

Ever notice that a basic Cessna single engine aircraft has full manual controls on everything that's critical ? Takes more brains to operate it properly, but you have Full control. Something to be said for that.

nothing pops to mind about your idle thing ... but it would be nice to make sure it's not somehow related to your idle issue. was that simple enough of a post ?

smiles, Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Sullivan" <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 3:21 PM Subject: Re: Stutter and Low Batt