Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 May 2010 08:02:04 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar Panel Mount -Flexible Panels?

RE: Solar Install Expanding a little on Frank's comments on solar panel installations. With the exception of the roof install my setup is much like Franks as for the wiring and connectors. I used some of the identical wire that Frank lists but only for the interior/fixed wiring. It is very stiff, meant for underground applications. Being stiff (like Romex wire in your house) it is easy to snake through to the locations you want. But where I differ is for use outside to connect the PV panels to that wire. I ordered, and use, zip cord, a 25 foot roll of #10. Very soft and flexible, much easier to use than the stiffer underground rated wire. I actually roll mine up and store it on the plastic reel it came on. And all connectors are sets of Anderson Powerpoles. You can find a lot of info on the Anderson connectors and the wire I'm talking about here: http://www.powerwerx.com/ If you snoop around the Internet you can find cheaper prices especially on the Powerpole connectors, places like High Sierra http://www.hamcq.com/ I've ordered from both places and got good service. One more piece of information (I mentioned this before). On a brand new panel I ordered just last month I was unpleasantly surprised to find that long, heavy, stiff wiring was already attached to the panel and actually soldered in. I'd expected just a junction box that I would connect to. And the connectors were something that I'd never seen before, like this: http://store.solar-electric.com/incaforsoelp.html Note that these new connectors require a special tool to disconnect! And also note that the specs on the panel that Frank pointed us to show that it comes with that kind if connector. This makes install a little more complicated than a panel that has a simple junction box on the back.