Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 May 2010 13:46:11 -0700
From:         Pat Sloan <pmsloan@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Solar Panel Mount -Flexible Panels?
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Great points, Loren.

So I guess you're thinking that the propane is essential for cooking and heating and you're right of course, given the current set up. But I have been thinking, since the Otter came into my life about 6 months ago, that there might be a modern technology solution that would transcend the use of the propane. At home, I hardly ever use the stovetop burners - in fat, hardly use my conventional stove at all. It's really early days, but I've begun looking into options like microwaves, small toaster/convection ovens, electric frying pans, electric kettles etc, all of which would run off the auxiliary battery which would be charged by the solar. Would require some rejigging of the current kitchen layout of course, but its fun to speculate. And if a new fridge is ever in the budget, then that whole area could be redesigned.

Of course, cooking over the outdoor campfire is still my favourite option.

The heating is more of a challenge. Guess there would need to be some kind of heat sink (like the stone walls in solar houses) that the solar would charge up and then the heat could be released as needed. There would need to be some way of NOT storing or releasing the heat when you're somewhere warm of course. Hmmm.

Your points re the relative costs of panels are great and very helpful. Guess I need a course in basic electricity so I can buy with confidence. Still not very sure how amps and volts relate. Can anyone recommend a website? Or I'll head out to my local hardware store and challenge the staff there.

Solar roof mounting is obviously proven to work, but there are two big issues (at least for me). One is that it would add a few more inches to the van height and so make it difficult (if not impossible) to drive into an underground garage like in my building. Two is that I would really like the freedom I had in my old '73 Westy, where you could park it on a forest road and level it up so you'd get the best view instead of having to make sure that the roof solar mount is angled right.

Any thoughts? Any experiences to relate?

Cheers, Pat - 1982 Vanjetta - 'Otter'

_____