Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 May 2010 13:48:47 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Bilstein HD shock report

This weekend was the first short trip with new Bilstein HDs on my '88 Westy. The KYBs I took off were still ok, at least they seemed to have similar resistance to compression (a bit less on the rear, a lot less on the front) compared with the new Bilsteins. The Bilstein rebounded 2-3 times faster than the KYBs when off the van. Based on this (and my Dad's great report of new HDs on his Eurovan) I was expecting a big improvement. So far, I still waiting... Things are definitely quieter and smoother over bumps, and a bit more stable in turns, but nothing like I expected. I am also surprised how soft they appear to be at a stop - I can now bounce the front bumper much easier than I recall with the old KYBs, which seems opposite to my impression prior to installing them. On a few big dips, it does seem the HDs are helping to prevent bottoming of the front suspension quite a lot better; this is probably the biggest improvement so far.

I suspect that many who have upgraded to HDs have come from worn out shocks, and so their experience has been much more positive. I also wonder if the condition of other components factor into this - if you're suspension and tires are in good shape except for shocks, then new HDs might just make all the difference, whereas my Westy with 420k on original springs and most of the bushings, technically under-spec BFG A/Ts on the rear and Yoko Y370s on the front may be as good as it's going to get until I deal with loose bushings, soft springs, and mis-matched tires.

Overall, I don't regret the purchase, but like so many things Vanagon, one purchase only leads to another... what to do next? Bushings? Wheels/tires? With any luck, I can enjoy the camping season and ponder these things before having to tackle them next winter! :-)

-- Shawn Wright '88 TD Westy