Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 2010 07:47:15 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was Stutter and Low Batt-Now Battery Drain
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@gmail.com>

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 5:37 AM, Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@gmail.com>wrote:

> I am now at 12.08 on main and 12.20 on aux after van sat overnite. I feel > there is a drain somewhere. Any tips on how to check this before I take it > to a battery guy? >

Other may suggest something else but here's what I'd do. The symptoms you describe imply either low charging from the alternator or a battery going bad. First, check for current drain with the engine off, key out. You should see no more than 20-50 milliamps. If much more than that then something is draining current when parked. You check this by disconnecting one of the battery cables, preferably the ground, setting your multimeter to it's highest amperage setting (usually 10 amps on most meters today) and connecting the meter between the cable and the battery post. If the reading appears to be zero or very low you can change to a more sensitive setting. Next, with the engine running, check the output of the alternator AT the alternator. You should see about 14.2-14.4 volts. Now check the voltage at the starting battery. You should see about the same, maybe just little lower. If you are seeing much less at the alternator the alternator is not putting out what it should, possible problems would be worn brushes, bad regulator, or the alternator going bad. If you want to eliminate the aux battery/charging system from the equation just disconnect the wire that goes from the starting battery to the 1315. To check the battery itself give it a full charge with a good battery charger. Note the voltage about a half an hour after the charge is complete and the charger disconnected. It should be about 12.6 volts. Leave it disconnected from anything and let it sit overnight and check it again, it should still be about 12.5-12.6. Much less indicates the battery is going bad.