Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 2010 12:10:34 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tire size questions
Comments: To: Shawn MacDonald <Shawn@SUPERIORSCAFFOLD.COM>

Can't speak for the Hankooks, but I have Kumho 857 tires in the 195 width (they are also 1/2" taller than 185s). I've been very pleased for 10K miles. They handle well, and they are wearing well. Gave me reasonable performance in the snow storms last winter, including the Christmas Eve blizzard that we experienced in these parts. I drove during the blizzard in Texas, and drove back to Oklahoma City the day after Christmas, partly on icy road. I checked on the odomoter/speedometer differential using a calculator that is on a web page (I don't still have the url, but you can probably google it), and the difference between 185s and 195s is slight, but real. It's not enough for me to be concerned. DMc

---- Shawn MacDonald <Shawn@SUPERIORSCAFFOLD.COM> wrote: > Hello folks, > The Hancooks work well on both my 87 Syncro & my old 77 Loaf. The wider widths make them seem more stable side to side, and definitely assist on wet roads. As for snow, Hancook Ice Bears will help with traction ;) > > Shawn > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Peter DiFalco > Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 12:16 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Tire size questions > > Hi Bryan, > > 195 is a wider tire. I bought the 185R14 RA08 for my 89 Wolfsburg / Carat > and although they're not the best looking tire (they seem skinny and > non-threatening) they give me a dead-on speedometer, smooth highway riding > and great handling. I discovered this weekend that they pretty much suck on > loose gravel, and I've heard they're a mess in snow. I can't say whether the > increased tire width would assist much with either situation - perhaps if > you live someplace very wet, a little extra width would be nice for wet > roads. I don't do much offroad driving, nor does it snow where I live, so > I'm very pleased. >

-- David McNeely