Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 2010 12:02:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Filter Tube Mount Removal?
Comments: To: SyncroHead@AOL.COM

it's hard to get the short one out without damaging it.

You probably don't have two nuts ...since only the 2.1 will have one nut, but if you had two of those, you could jam them against each other to unscrew the short pipe nipple that way ...if it's not in too tightly.

of course you can just cream a vice grips onto it extra hard and undo it that way, though obviously that will ruin the threads.

here's an idea, you might check on getting that part from a VW dealer. It could be a simple 6 or 8 dollar part. then you remove the 2.1 long one with a pipe wrench or vice grips, and screw in your new short one.

you could try heat .. if you warmed up the area around the short pipe nipple carefully. .....and especially if you could do the two nut trick...that might work.

I've done the 2.1 into where a 1.9 one was several times. It's a great conversion. My current version runs the entire 2.1 exhaust ( which means you have room for the oil cooler , and that means you could even just leave the oil cooler on, just no coolant lines connected to it ) ..........and I run the entire 2.1 intake system, from throttle body to intake ports. She runs darn good. Was even thinking ...I don't even especially feel underpowered. My worst mode is climbing long hills at 50 mph in 3rd. And she'll go plenty fast on the level, like 80.

I'm going to rig the oil cooler to work with my 1.9 cooling system too. Got that all engineered in, just need to connect the coolant hoses to the oil cooler...........gonna come off the main coolant hose junction at the firewall with the hoses.. that part for a 1.9 auto trans has connections to the trans oil cooler .. so I'll just use them for my engine oil cooler instead.

and, as I said, you could just leave the long pipe on, with oil cooler ( as long as you have the 2.1 exhaust system ..which is better for sure ) and just not connect any coolant hoses to it for now.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Davis" <SyncroHead@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 7:44 AM Subject: Oil Filter Tube Mount Removal?