Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 2010 13:21:42 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 14? 15? or 16 inch Tires.............
Comments: To: Jamie Fitterer <fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM>

either one, 15 or 16. 'the issue' in my mind is proper fitment to a vanagon.

I had a fine set of 5 near new Michelin Agilles tires for years, but never wanted to adapt a wheel to fit .. wanted really correct wheel fitment. Finally got South African 15 inch steel wheels. Those are a 'Real' vanagon wheel. I like 'em. Alloys are always better in terms of unsprung weight ..or usually , and they look cool. Perhaps not as purely durable as steel wheels ....I call them cop car wheels, since cop cars often run black, steel, 15 inch wheels and performance rated tires. I just drove an 83 diesel vanagon with 16 inch aftermarket mercedes alloy wheels... those were nigh perfect. Only thing not 100 % perfect about those was no center caps .. which gives you the performance, and a bit of anti-theft feature, but don't look really right without center caps. The tire size on those wheels was 225/60 R 16 I think.....just about perfect. Spare has to remain a smaller wheel and tire though...which is not a problem in 2WD.

So to me ...the first step is finding a set of 15 or 16 inch wheels you are satisfied with. Many 'other' wheels reach in too far for a vanagon, and some people are running spacers ....I'm not real big on that personally.

Where you start is finding a set of either 15's or 16's that fit right, and the price is something you feel right about. Then decide which tire, by size, brand, and type, and vanagon-rated of course. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jamie Fitterer" <fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 11:51 AM Subject: 14? 15? or 16 inch Tires.............

I see a lot of folks are rocking 185/195 R14s like me.

I have been thinking about going to the 15 or 16 alloy wheels. Anyone else thinking about it? Anyone have/see issues with going to the 15 or 16 alloys?

Thanks Guys,

1984 Westy