Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 2010 21:10:06 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: any words of wisdom for a virgin to the world of westy's?
Comments: To: Peter K <bybike@GMAIL.COM>

Dear Peter,

At 07:15 PM 5/10/2010, Peter K wrote: >airfare to visit. I do get the "avoid round headlights" level of info I have >(so '86 or later),

The US-spec headlights on the 2.1l ('86-up) Vanagons are truly dismal, whereas the European-spec ones are excellent. Other than living with it, you have three choices, a) $$$ get a set of E-spec lights and mounts; b) $$$ get a South African Vanagon grille which has 7" round headlights plus the inner square high beams or c) $$ get a pre-'86 grille and a set of round headlight mounts. With either of b and c you can use either standard round sealed-beams (good) or E-spec round lights (excellent).

As to the vehicles themselves, there's not a lot of difference really. The '85+ sliding doors are improved over and completely incompatible with the earlier ones. The 2.1l exhaust system is noticeably improved and simplified over the 1.9l in the area of mounting and support. The 86+ have a bit less ground clearance and there are some limited-edition versions that are lowered a full inch. 85+ are much more likely to have power steering. The camping equipment and furniture are largely identical for all the water-cooled years, with some variation in the overhead lighting for the kitchen. Canadian versions have a) the electric cord permanently attached at the van end and b) lack the drainboard that folds down over the stove burners (but no problem mounting one). The 2.1l engines have a bit more power at the top end and possibly a bit less torque at the bottom. The '84-5 furniture is tan, later ones are gray. One's warmer, the other crisper. Late-model fridges have electronic starting which IMO is unnecessary and one more costly thing to go wrong. All years the fridge is very small and has all the vices and virtues of an absorption-type refrigerator.

> I don't know enough to be able to assess what leaks or >malfunctioning parts are the ones that will have big $$$ signs attached.

I'll mostly leave that for now. The biggest factor is previous careful maintenance, and most Vgons fall short in this regard. Cooling hoses were of such high quality that many of them are still original, so several hundred dollars in hoses is a likely expense. Front suspensions often have been neglected. Tents that have had a lot of use/weather exposure will probably need replacing. Pop-top and luggage-rack seals ditto.

> And >rust... well, where is it really bad and if I see it I should stop dreaming >vs just an indicator of some body work and paint?

That all depends on how you look at things. Structural rust is uncommon, seam rust is a problem. On Westys the body panel outboard of the kitchen often has very bad rust problems. Ben Huot in Montreal routinely fixes rust problems that the California and dry-west people would have written off long ago -- they tend to vomit when they see Ben's pictures. Not sure how the rust is in Pacific Northwest vans, but look out for moss on the windshield and any other available place. <g> One good thing is that the original VW wax undercoating is superb.

Hope that helps a bit, and welcome aboard. Ben Tan <syncro@gmail.com> and I are the moderators; please come to us with problems, requests, list questions etc.

Yours, David