Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 2010 17:41:30 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      any words of wisdom for a virgin to the world of westy's?
Comments: To: bybike@GMAIL.COM

It's been said the magic number for getting a Westy to be reliable is about 20 K. I bought my particular 1989 for $6800, and getting to the point where I would call it reliable has taken a total of $22,000. Granted, you can take your chances and repair as you go or pay up front, but either way you will probably get up to that magic number.

Go Westy has some great information. I would say make sure you do a VIN check. Replace your fuel lines, replace the ends of the long coolant hoses with either the go westy kit or replace them altogether. Replace the oil transmission cooler, water pump would probably be a good idea and check all of your coolant hoses for spongy or oil soaked hoses. Replace anything that looks suspicious. Clean as many grounds as you possibly can-- will avoid a lot of electrical nightmares. Replace the fuel lines!!

Get yourself a second battery or better yet buy one that has a second battery. Stay away from rust!! I have a Subaru conversion in mine as well as a rebuilt transmission, new brakes, 16 inch tires, new refrigerator, lots of new electrical stuff, etc. Syncro's look very appealing, but can be very expensive to fix.

My one regret is I did not do a VIN check (I did on lots of them I looked at) but this particular one came from an architect's wife, and thought it was a great deal, so never checked. Turned out it had a salvage title--the pop-top doesn't sit quite square and the back hatch doesn't sit flush. I thought I was money ahead as it had a new paint job, but now I would say be suspect of new paint as it can be hiding something.

Westy are known for head gasket problems if the right coolant (phosphate free) is not used. If the owner knows nothing about that (big red flag). New heads can set you back thousands of dollars. Change the coolant every couple of years with phosphate free and you can keep the things going forever, well 250K or so.

That's my two cents.

Troy