Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 2010 21:56:29 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: any words of wisdom for a virgin to the world of westy's?
Comments: To: Peter K <bybike@GMAIL.COM>

At 09:04 PM 5/10/2010, Peter K wrote: >do have "reliable" as something I need in my vehicle... if I'm going to a >race I can't really afford to get there the week after, so I assume "newer" >means there is a better chance of getting parts and finding a mechanic "out >there" who knows how to work on it.

Hmmm...reliable is as reliable does. It will be reliable within any reasonable criterion if you make it so. That means correcting any previous maintenance lacks and keeping up with the continuing maintenance. If you're used to Toyotas -- this isn't one. Three nines availability isn't going to happen. Two nines should be achievable with money and effort. One nine is pretty easy to get.

>my needs are simple... >learning enough to find / recognize a good westy that's comfortable for long >trips, and has a high probability of getting there on time >not too expensive to keep in good shape, my budget is limited (and as I >indicated, my skills to do the repairs are limited too) >low running costs (and all of them have small engines and are old enough to >get senior's discounts on insurance!) > >all this leads me to think an 87-91 vanagon, yes? no?

Mphm. I'm inclined to say no. If you find that a Vanagon is the vehicle you simply must have it will give you great satisfaction and you'll pay what you have to in money and additional skills to keep it going. If you don't then you're quite likely to find owning one a frustrating and expensive experience. Finding a mechanic skilled with these beasts is difficult. The running costs aren't so wonderful either; people report between about 16-20 mpg. It's a bit like a dog -- it will love you without reserve, but the vet bills can be tough. But this is a decision that will come from your heart, not your brain.

Your brain should be telling you to get an EV or even a Chrysler or Ford van. Or going in the other direction, a Sprinter.

Yours, David