Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 2010 16:06:59 -0700
From:         "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\"" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 12V Slow Cooker Tests
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

Loren Busch wrote: > RE: Slow Cooker Test > Very, very interesting Mike, thanks for the detailed test. > Just one question. I'm assuming that this was a static test, not done in a > running vehicle. So, is it possible that the current available was limited, > especially as the voltage dropped? And might the slow cooker achieve a > higher temperature with a constant source of the higher voltage it would see > in a running vehicle, like 13.8 volts or so? > But even then it appears that it does not reach a temperature for actually > cooking, would only be good for heating already cooked food, like canned > stew, etc. And long times at such temps is not appealing, as you pointed > out.

Good point -- under load, the voltage from the battery was less than 12V (resistive losses in the wiring). So yeah, it might get hotter when driving. My intended usage was when in camp, so the static test is the most useful for me. I don't have any multi-hour trips scheduled so the only way I could do a "dynamic" test is to let the engine idle with the van in the driveway for a couple hours. But, as you say, just using the thing to heat already-cooked food doesn't sound very interesting.

I have a little rice cooker I use in the house to make rice and bean dishes. It would be excellent when camping. But the thing consumes 300 watts. At 12 volts that's 25 amperes. It takes about 30 to 45 minutes to cook up a package of Vigo Red Beans and Rice,* so that'd be a 12 to 20 amp-hours. My solar rig can replace that on a sunny day at the rate of 6 ampere-hours per hour, so I'd need a few hours of sunlight to replenish what the cooker used along with the other tasks I use power for (refrigerator, etc.).

Easier to pop a saucepan on the stovetop and make the meal.

============ * Dump some carrot slices, a chopped red pepper, and a T of olive oil into the cooker, turn it on and cover. Allow veggies to saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Add package contents and water per package instructions, a t of liquid smoke, and some ground ancho [annato]. Let the cooker do its job. When cooker turns off, turn on stovetop burner and lightly toast flour tortillas on both sides directly on burner grate, spoon rice and bean mixture onto center of tortilla. Fold into burrito shape and consume directly. Yum.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) Bend, OR KG6RCR