Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 2010 07:14:14 +0100
From:         Arkady Mirvis <arkadymirvis@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      LAPPING the cyl. heads Re: Boston engine web site
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

Thanks, David ,

Upon taking off the cyl. head of my Jetta Diesel I found that it was out of flatness by 0,009". Sent it to Boiston Engine Bob and got it back in perfect condition. It was totally done, clean, looked as new one. I dealt with Bob with great pleasure thereafter many times, talked to him at great lengths on VW shows. As a manufacturing engineer I have quite a bit up my sleeves with 40 years of experience in super-precision machining. Bob did recieve many distorted diesel heads and I recommended to him to utilise lapping process. Using this process I was able to achieve flatness on 18" long pieces within a half of a light wave length. With a surface medium gray color on aluminum. I could adjust surface's roughness to my desire. Lapping machines aren't expensive. I am not aware if Bob ever implemented my suggestion, but I once lapped the head of my 1992 Jetta on a lapping machine with 24" rings. I let the head go for 2.5 hours with a medium size slurry and it came out far flatter then it would come out from manufacturer. The last 15 minutes rough slurry was introduced for the surface to be rough and bite into the gasket. Bob was a man I considered a real professional and as such he will remain in my memory.

Ark

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@attglobal.net> To: "Arkady Mirvis" <arkadymirvis@GMAIL.COM> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:13 PM Subject: Re: Boston engine web site