Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 May 2010 04:37:37 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: GL-4 or GL-5 Tanny Oil - HELP?
Comments: To: Kurt Grotz <kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM>

On my two 88 GL's I run Redline MT 90 in the transmissions. Not sure off the top what grade oil that is - unless the 90 means 90 wt.

Re-facing the fly wheel depends on how bad the surface is and whether it got a new clutch or not. With a new pressure plate and clutch disk having the flywheel resurfaced and trued up is definitely in order. Two things to consider - 1) be careful of your shims. Resurfacing may require some adjustment. of them. and 2) there is a little bushing that fits into the center bore of the flywheel. That little shim holds the felt seal over the bearing that fits intot he end of the crankshaft. Don't lose it. Don't let it got to the shop when sending the flywheel out. Machinests knock it out when mountinge the flywheel and it never gets put back in. It is there for a reason. And these are NLA!! If this is not present - the bearings die early.

I think replacing the flywheel seal when the tranny is removed is a good idea. Just my opinion. Saves a lot of lost motion and angst if you find yourself with a leaking seal later. If you go ahead and doing it while all is apart - you may never have a leaking seal for a very long time to come.

My $0.02.

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 5/9/2010 4:02 AM, Kurt Grotz wrote: > I have been getting mixed messages about the proper oil to use. Some say > only GL-4 some say they use GL-5 just fine. Problem is - I can't find > straight up GL-4 in any auto supply store. Thoughts and or ideas? And > is it SOP to resurface flywheel and replace seal when tranny is removed. > > Thanks > > >