Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2010 12:32:25 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon camper seating capacity
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

---- David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > At 10:56 AM 5/13/2010, Dave Mcneely wrote: > >Even with a jump seat, I don't know how you get five friends in the > >camper, plus a driver. the rear seat only seats two, jump seat one, > >passenger front seat one; that's 4. I'm putting in a jump seat, but > >that's to bring capacity up to five including driver. > > Dear Dave, > Rear seat is rated for three (three sets of belts),

David, my camper (1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile) has only two sets of belts on the rear seat. The illustrations in the owner's manual only illustrate two sets of belts. In looking at 3-point after market belts offered by vendors like GoWesty and others, I see only left and right versions offered, no middle. The rear seat on the camper is smaller than that on non-camper versions of the Vanagon, because of the cabinetry. The kitchen equipment of course takes up space, and has weight, which reduces the carrying capacity otherwise of the vehicle.

I believe that three quite small people could sit comfortably in the rear seat of my camper, but there is no belt for the middle person, and I would not have anyone sit there for that reason. If the vehicle originally came with a third belt there and the weight rating is ok, I may install one to offer that option, but it does not appear to me that there was ever one there.

Do you have a camper with 3 rear seat belts?

Thanks, David McNeely