Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2010 18:50:36 -0400
From:         Rolf Lockwood <rolf.lockwood@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 12 May 2010 to 13 May 2010 - Special issue
              (#2010-451)

On Thu, May 13, 2010 Jeff Palmer wrote...

> From:    Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MTS.NET> > Subject: Tires in Canada > > Now that my Michelin LTX's have succumbed to sidewall cracking, I find = > out that Michelin doesn't make a tire for my 85 anymore.  Where do = > Canadians get tires?  I've looked at busdepot's list and others and = > can't find any of those locally, and shipping from the US is more than = > the tire itself (or pretty darn close). > > Any suggestions for tire vendors in Canada, online or otherwise? > > Thanks > Jeff in Winnipeg= > > ------------------------------

It's not so difficult, though the choices are few.

I've just been through this and my '90 Westy will soon have a set of Continental Vanco 2 tires, successor to the Vanco 8s I've been riding on. It's the right original size and the right load rating -- 185R14C, 102-100Q. From what Conti says, it's a much improved version of the OE tire/Vanco 8 with better wet-surface performance. I'll report when I've got some miles on.

They're not imported into Canada for some reason but Continental dealers can order them. And German Supply does have them, I believe.

OK Tire can get them, I believe, but you can also find a Kumho dealer like OK and order the '857'. It's described on tirerack.com as a 'trailer' tire but that's not the whole story. It's fine for van/light-commercial use use too, according to Kumho. Comes in both 185 and 195R14 with 8-ply sidewalls and thus the right load rating.

As others have said, the Nokian C is available too. Any serious tire dealer could order them for you. Go to Kal Tire locally, maybe?

Rolf in Toronto