Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2010 18:51:59 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Audible temperature gauge
Comments: To: David White <sirgrumpsalot@GMAIL.COM>

At 06:19 PM 5/13/2010, David White wrote: >Has anyone every come up with a nifty way to convert the temp gauge on >a watercooled vanagon to an audible alarm when the engine starts >getting towards overheating? How about simply moving the red blinking >light to someplace more visible like in the line of sight of the >driver? I need such a device so that I can take a nap while my wife >does some of the driving.

Why just the temp gauge? Does your wife selectively ignore it? *All* the warning lights on the Vanagon are stop-right-now emergencies. Of course if it's a 2.1l the oil light will beep at you if you're going over 2000 rpm.

The light could be replaced with a brighter flasher, or with a *much* brighter steady light, and/or it could be moved into the warning panel. All of these would involve opening the gauge or adding independent circuitry on the back. Likewise the other two could be replaced with "nice and bright" diffused LEDs from the current Radio Shack assortment which contains four of them, or with "painful at night" clear eye-stabbers that are pretty hard to ignore.

I could build (for myself) fairly easily a circuit that would sound a warning for any or all of these lights, but it would be kinda expensive to pay me to build one for you.

It *might* be completely practical to simply wire a piezo buzzer across each light -- would depend on the draw of the buzzer. I think RS may have a buzzer with a control lead, which could be even simpler to wire in with a few diodes and would have no chance of overloading the circuits.

Yours, David