Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2010 17:22:08 -0600
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Need Reassurance on 82 Westy
Comments: To: cesarquiros@HOTMAIL.COM

Cesar:

I have an '81 7-passenger since new with 150,000+ miles on it. It was my fourth air-cooled VW bus--and the best. Much better than the '76, in terms of comfort driving-- the position of the seat/wheel, handling, etc. I think an air-cooled Vanagon Westy would be great.

Just remember that the air-cooled engine doesn't like to be lugged--keep the revs up. Make sure the seal around the engine sheetmetal to the body sheetmetal is good-- that keeps the hot air coming out the bottom of the engine from pre-heating the cooling air coming down on the top. You can put an oil temp sender in the sump plate--that would be a good addition. I never added an external oil cooler to any of my air-cooleds.

I got 103,000 miles on the original '81 engine--that in Colorado at elevations of 5,000' to 11,000'. I never gave a thought to jumping into it and heading anywhere. I still wouldn't. There is a secure feeling with the air- cooled that the waterboxer never gives. I have one of those, too.

Enjoy the great views from the Vanagon--and don't be in a hurry. ;-)

Richard

PS: mine is 49-state, so can't comment on the CA model, except that stock it has an O2 sensor which would be a good thing. My non-O2 engine ran with an empty cat for several years and passed Colorado emissions.