Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2010 17:29:19 -0700
From:         Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Tires in Canada

Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 23:27:29 -0500 From: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MTS.NET>

Now that my Michelin LTX's have succumbed to sidewall cracking, I find = out that Michelin doesn't make a tire for my 85 anymore. Where do = Canadians get tires? I've looked at busdepot's list and others and = can't find any of those locally, and shipping from the US is more than = the tire itself (or pretty darn close).

Any suggestions for tire vendors in Canada, online or otherwise?

Thanks Jeff in Winnipeg= ------------------------------

Hi Jeff in Winnipeg,

Wow, you got a pile of... aaah... tire doodo to sift and sort through. Tire Threads are kinda like this..... most days... Sadly, all of us driving Westies need tires and often need help locating appropriate ones . Some information seemed helpful but apologies for all the moralizing, bad, plain wrong inept information slammed in your direction. You need Tires not a lesson in morals..... 8:)

To say something substantive.... I feel your pain Jeff.... 8-( Ok, now let's get you some new shoes... for your Van.

Jeff and Neil (both from Kannukistan) gave you some places to look. As another Cannuk gushed, Kal Tire is the place! I agree whole-heartedly in spades. You got TWO Kal Tire Stores in Winnipeg.... So get shopping Jeff.... Wait a moment.

What to buy? As you know better than most... you are in Canada. Canada has limited markets. Nokian makes the Hakka C Van in a 14" size that will serve your Westie well. If Kal Tire stocks it? This tire is rated: 185/R14 102/100S. Even this puppy, will keep the Tire-Nannies Quiet.... <joke> (Kal Tire is the only retailer of Nokian in Canada... sadly)

German Supply out of Toronto shows some stock... but, they are at least a two day drive from Winnipeg. Great prices for 14" Westie rated tires... but, add shipping..... The Yoko Y-370's, Nexen SV-820, Conti Vanco 2 and a couple of no-name brands.... All are Ok but getting long in the tooth. They ride harsh, grip Ok on dry pavement but suck otherwise.

Tires on the Web in Canada:

http://www.tiretrends.com/index.php3 http://www.1010tires.com/

Both located on the West Coast but recall, most Tire Warehouses are in either Ontario or Quebec... Both the above will drop-ship from the Warehouse. Somewhere I recall a tires-on-the-web in Eastern Canada but cannot locate the link.... anyone?

Good luck to you Jeff.... hope you can get what you need without breaking the Bank..... Shopping for Westie tires in Cannukistan is hard stressful work... few tires and way-too much geography! Last resort... pack-up the Van, head to the USA. Tire shop till you drop and return smiling.... don't forget to rub some dirt on the new shoes before crossing over, or else GST/PST will be added (I never said this).

Phil Z. Campbell River, BC Been through Winnipeg 3X.... ;^)