Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 May 2010 06:55:12 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lube the accelerator cable on a vanagon? and some more..
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net>

Thanks for the tips. The "lithium spray grease" is the operation I'd like to try next. I haven't really looked closely at the Bently yet. I thought I would ask here and maybe someone would come up with a better explanation of how to do it than the book. Yes, I use the delrin cam/cable guide set-up on the 92 Jetta motor I have in my 84 and I've been all over that part of the throttle linkage...checking 'range of motion' and angles of mechanical advantatge...All of that seems correct and free-moving. If I pull on the cable 'beyond the motor' but before it splices into the Vanagon cable, everything feels smooth. The cable from the Jetta overlaps the Vanagon cable down near the trans and is connected with a couple of cable clamps. There is no mechanical interference at the splice. I am thinking it has to be in the cable in the van. I should probably replace that. But in the mean time, can't I squirt some Wurth;s or some bike cable lube into the housing or something and get better action? "tip-in" that is the term I forgot...

BTW...I recently thought I had a fault with my head..(not my 'melon', the one on the inline four in my van..) so I sourced a new gasket and some fresh headbolts ($70) in anticipation of doing a head gasket replacement...but it turns out I likely had an unfortunate coinciding of a couple of minor faults, instead the head problem. At least I'm pretty sure now after a week or two of trouble-free commuting at highway speeds. I think I had a failing thermostat and perhaps a partially clogged pressure cap on my expansion tank, plus a couple of small leaks in the cooling circuit to the rear heater. This was (I surmise) causing air to enter (and some coolant to escape) from the leaks. This resulted in over-filling of my overflow tank without the coolant returning properly to the system. I was also seeing some bubbles in the coolant going into the pressure tank, a symptom of a faulty head or headgasket, normally. As I leaked slowly from a hose near my head outlet to the rear heater, and slightly from the heater (O-rings?==shut off valve?==Core?) that was also causing an air bubble in the radiator and eventually an over heating incident (detected in a timely manner) which caused that leaky hose to get *really leaky, really quick*..as in "stanley-steamer' After replacing the thermostat and the expansion tank cap and the hose to the overflow tank, temporarly by-passing the rear heater altogether and fixing the leaky hose from the head outlet to the rear heater, everything is back to normal...no more frequent bleeding, no coolant loss, no buildup in the expansion tank. So now I have the needed parts to swap in an ABA 2-liter block...which I will do very soon. This swap is supposed to be a significant improvment in power using the longer stroke ABA bottom end with the 1.8 liter head, etc bolted right on and everything staying clean under the engine deck...I've been wanting to do this swap now for a while..found a 2 liter longblock with low miles for around $200..cute little thing... Don Hanson