Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 May 2010 13:43:58 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: corrosion study
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>

At 03:17 AM 5/9/2010, Andrew Grebneff wrote: >to semigloss crap... and then bought-out again and the primer disappeared >entirely.

In the USA any kind of lead-based paint was forbidden in the '70s. Maybe that's what happened to yours. Incidentally, leaded gas was forbidden some few years later. A decade or so later children's blood lead levels had declined by nine parts in ten to about average just about 50 ug per liter, which is the level now considered just above the threshold of danger. Which means that I and all the kids around me grew up with lead levels at minimum ten times the danger level. No wonder I can't think so good!

Which reminds me that in '85 I hired an '85 Corolla in Wellington -- came with a rag to wipe off the dew -- this was the same week that the Rainbow Warrior met the SDECE in Auckland and lost. It had a manual choke! I opened the bonnet and could barely find the engine because it was totally bereft of emission-control devices (at that time in US the Corolla was one of the last-gasp carburetted autos and the array of vacuum hoses, bizarre carburettor linkages, thermally controlled vacuum switches and the like was awesome to behold. And it had a warm-up stumble that they never completely cured even by re-jetting the carb).

Yours, David ps -- I thoroughly enjoyed Wellington and Auckland and surrounding areas. Any time you'd care to send me a ticket to come visit I'll take it up in a flash. Place felt like home in a way that OZ distinctly didn't.