Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 May 2010 14:01:47 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: throttle body fun
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

hi. lol, I don't think it was a waste of time... just learning the condition of your throttle body was worthwhile.

a concern I have is that a worn TB will prevent consistent return to idle contact on the switch. Like half the time it returns when returning to idle it doesn't quite 'reach' and make the switch close properly. When I adjust 'em, I check about 6 times that ever time the throttle is released, the switch closes.

I also don't think it ever hurts to lube the throttle body shaft.

bummer about that throttle cable barrel clamp ...you probably won't make that mistake again ! ( I either lay that part aside in the engine compartment, or best..put it in a container, or even clamp it back on the throttle cable so it can't get lost. )

speaking of ...the coolest little parts container. I get them at Fred Meyer stores. $ 250 each. Small metal can with a clear window top so you can see at a glance what's in it ...and it's magnetic on the bottom, so it stays put on a metal work bench. For small parts...about the nicest storage device I've even seen.

on that oil o-ring at the breather tower.. I have the best luck with Toyota black silicone ..... seals for oil or coolant, bare metal-to-metal, or plastic-to-metal .. even with no gasket or o-ring ...seals perfectly basically forever .. It's for putting a toyota V-6 engine water pump right to the block, with that sealant only. I really believe in that stuff,

and I don't believe in any o-rings installed dry *at all* .. they *always* get hard and brittle, or shrink or whatever ....installing them dry is a 'theoretical' thing in my world, theoretically they should seal and last, but they don't., I wish the o-rings that were on the Space Shuttle that exploded on launch had that Toyota stuff on them , no kidding. 'too theoretical engineer stuff like that really gets me ... in theory it should work, in the real world ..... ( and the engineers on that one were worried too, about the cold temps ) ... 'stuff happens' and I have seen over and over where an o-ring installed dry just does not cut it after a few years.

0-rings *always* leak after a few years. Use that silicone, or any very high quality silicone on them ..no problem, forever basically.

what fun we are having with our vanagons ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alistair Bell" <albell@SHAW.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2010 12:07 PM Subject: throttle body fun

i posted this text plus pics on my blog (http://shufti.wordpress.com/)

Yesterday I decided to take the throttle body off my ’86 syncro (2.1 l), to clean it up and double check the throttle valve position switch. Well it turned into one of those “why did I do that?” projects. I had more than just idle curiosity driving me, the van had been having occasional lag in standing start acceleration which I thought might be due to the throttle valve position switch (TVPS), even though it had been recently adjusted. I was suspicious that the throttle shaft fit in the throttle body was loose and that might be affecting the TVPS. Getting the throttle body off is pretty easy, I did find that the two bolts holding it onto the plenum were not tight, I wondered if that had allowed a little air leak? Who knows. Got the throttle onto the bench and gave it a quick cleaning. Wasn’t as oil crusted as I had expected, someone must have been in here in the last few years. The TVPS had a black plastic cover on it, I had not seen that before. It sure keeps the actual switch nice and clean, see photos. The bore and butterfly had wear in them, as expected. The design of the TB allows axial play and this lets the butterfly rub on the bore. The pics don’t show it quite as well as I had hoped. But there didn’t seem to much if any lateral play that would affect the TVPS setting. Using a multimeter set on ohms and “beep” for continuity I check the TVPS setting. it was within spec, but I managed to fine adjust it to fall between a 0.003″ feeler gauge and 0.002″ shim stock. I was feeling pretty cocky at that point, and toddled back out the the van to re-install. It was then I noticed the little clamp that connects the throttle cable to the TB was missing, argh. I must have dropped it between the van and the bench… probably on the gravel driveway. I spent quite a while searching, with magnet too, but no luck. So I ended up making a quick and dirty substitute. Mild steel and a 5mm hex socket machine screw. It worked out ok. I figured I’d blow the entire afternoon and take the crankcase breather tower off and check the O-ring that seals it to the case. The O-ring was as hard as hard can be, was it ever soft? It was also broken. The old ring broke into pieces getting it out. I didn’t have a replacement in the collection but I had a spare breather tower and I swiped the O-ring from that. Cleaned up the oily mess from all the associated hoses, placed some sections of braided rubber vacuum lines, and put everything back together. The van runs pretty well the same, maybe a tad higher idle, will deal with that later. Needs a few more miles of driving before I admit it was all a waste of time.

alistair