Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 May 2010 17:32:27 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: gas leak update, coupled with questions
Comments: To: Samantha <yfsami@YAHOO.COM>

One place to look for a leak is the fuel gauge sensor. As for the brown crud in the filter, that is not an easy fix. The tank is shot. There is also a screen at the bottom of the tank so if crud made it to the filter the tank is a goner. A radiator shop may be able to test it if you really feel the need to save it. Those expansion tanks should be dropped to make sure the valves on top are good. You also need to check the carbon canister the valve for it.

Dennis

Hello! Hope you're all having a fine weekend and the weather is treating you nice.

I wrote in not long ago about a gas leak, when we filled the tank up it did not stop filling, and spilled out when filled. Van died on way back home, would not restart. Got a tow (for free!!) and gas poured out as it was being lifted up. Soooooooooooooooo...

.....Yesterday we started the process of disconnected fuel lines and draining the tank, all went well! Today, we dropped the gas tank and drained remaining gas (it wasn't that heavy). Squirrels and chipmunks had hidden nuts for the winter all around the tank, but nothing that would interfere, hahaha. Found no problems with visible seals as so far, and found no visible holes in gas tank. Gas lines are not in great condition, but appear to be in working condition. We cannot find where it is leaking from!

Went to remove one of the expansion gas tanks but was unable to, as gas receiver's screws have been stripped by one of those damned previous owners. Whoever had Mustard prior didn't give a damn!

Removed fuel pump and filter. Filter was full of nasty brown black shit, will address that soon, thats an easy fix.

We started looking around more feeling beat from removing the tank and not finding our issue, and we found a LOT of loose and broken hoses and lines. We took photos and I resized and drew arrows and typed (hopefully) helpful remarks pertaining to each photo. Would you folks be up to looking at the pictures we took and helping us figure out what these things are?

There are a few lines that were disconnected that hadn't been before, and one plastic line that was flat out broke. I'm wondering how that couldve happened from here to there....

I do hope I have provided all needed information and as always, thank you again, you are all so kind.

Samantha 1982 AC Vanagon Eureka Springs, AR