Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 2010 20:04:23 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Update on the travellers Hijacked in Mexico

Folks, here are updates I have received from Jack & Michelle.

19/04/2010 7:44:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time

We have been home for more than 1 week now & we now have new reading glasses, a temporary drivers licence, a temporary health card , a new Visa card, a new library card, etc......New passport coming on Friday!

When people ask me how I am, I answer, " ALIVE"!

And we are getting over the "fog" of the first few days home---the adrenaline had stopped flowing & we had gone into neutral......

We hired a Spanish -English translator who translated our ORIGINAL bill of sale for truck & trailer---bought in Sept. 2002. Last Thursday, we got these sealed by our lawyer (son-in-law), also by the Foreign Affairs & we showed up at the Mexican Embassy & asked them to put their seal on these papers. The lady asked us to wait a moment & the consul came & asked us why we wanted these sealed. He asked us to follow him to his office when he heard the word "bandidos"...... He then asked us to come back in 1 hour & he would have all documents ready for us.....I guess all the media hype had reached him too...... (for those of you who did not see the Canadian Press article, google VanderByl & Mexico......)

One hour later, we were talking to Mr. Ambassador of Mexico to Canada. He made 2 phone calls to Mexico & actually raised his voice at one point.... He then promised us he would do everything he could to get our vehicles released.... The next a.m. he was phoning to tell us that the documents we had left with him---original bill of sales---would be sufficient! So we have hope! But the MANANA mentality also exists at the embassy .....

But today at lunch, the consul still had not sent these documents.....so Jack told him to hold on to them as he will deliver a key for the truck to be delivered to our attorney at the insurance company. She has power of attorney on the truck & trailer so that when they are released she will have the truck & trailer to the GM dealer so they can repair the front bumper.....Who knows what kind of state the transmission is on the truck ????.....

So that's where we are at......Yesterday, we celebrated one of our grandsons' 4th birthday....It was so nice to do something NORMAL!!!!!!

Thank you for your emails, your good thoughts, your prayers, your phone calls. Greatly appreciated!

Michelle & Jack

20/04/2010 1:02:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time

Thanks for the contact of Cdn Press photographer. We now believe that the Cdn Press article which ran EVERYWHERE in Canada was a big help in getting the 1 hour interview with the Ambassador.

Dave & Joyce flew home to Niagara Falls the day after we flew home. We couldn't accomplish anything anymore down there. All of us are hoping for a vehicle release...soon??!!

Safe travels--- J & M

08/05/2010 1:25:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time

After our visit at the embassy, on April 23, we were very hopeful.....but nothing happened!Last week, we were very discouraged--nothing had happened! On Monday, Jack sent an email to the Mexican embassy &that got the ball rolling...again! Thanks to the Mexican ambassador in Ottawa, our truck & trailer were released from the army compound on Tuesday! On Wednesday, no news. On Thursday, we learned our vehicles were at a garage getting assessed for damages. On Friday, we received by email, an authorization sheet to be signed to allow for repairs.

Jack let the insurance company know that he will be there on the 18th & everything has to be ready. So when he will be taking the vehicles through US customs--he will ask for the vehicles to be searched for drugs & arms. Then he'll be driving home--he estimates it will take him 5-6 days. I will not be going.

Jack's hip surgery is scheduled for May 31st. in Kingston. We have 3 appointments in May in Kingston before surgery.

We will let you know about any new developments!

M & J

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://frankcondelli.com/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://frankcondelli.com/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://frankcondelli.com/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://www.busfusion.com/) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 10 ~ 13, 2010