Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2010 11:41:52 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Totally NEW Add-A-Room for Vanagons - Answering your Questions
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>,
          Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>

At 10:17 AM 5/20/2010, The Bus Depot wrote:

> > Will this work on pax vans as well? > > only somewhat familiar with the Mercedess van.

I read "pax" as "passenger" -- from looking at your site I'm confident in saying yes it will attach to a passenger van.

> > will the attached floor cover the gap under the vehicle so the > > entire space will be bug free? That has always been the most > > difficult obstacle to overcome in my tentative plans to fabricate > > such an enclosure.

I bet a lot could be done with mosquito netting with a sand-weighted edge to lie on the ground, and Velcro -- or the 3M stuff that has two nubbly-stiff sides instead of one wooly and one sharp. Frame the netting with a canvas strip* that carries the Velcro and the sand "snake," Strong magnets embedded in the upper strip might serve well to attach it to the van itself. Very strong magnets are available free if your local computer outfit has a stack of junked hard drives; might need a T-4 or T-6 Torx driver to get to them. Either two or four in each drive, some glued on and some merely held by their own magnetism. Try not to damage the nickel plating because the magnet inside will shed particles easily, or leave them attached to the frame pieces. Don't pinch your finger!

In the course of many years of cruising the Maine coast I've found that spraying the netting itself with a DEET repellent will confuse the little bloodsuckers and keep them from finding quarter-inch-wide slits that they'd otherwise be lining up in squads to get through (the slit I have in mind is at the forward end of the netting where it slips under the companionway hatch slide, and the broad straight highway to it is the sloping surface of the inside of the spray dodger. Takes a mosquito about thirty seconds to come bouncing down that CO2 trail right to the slit).

The netting material we used on that, btw, was/is ordinary Fiberglas-core window screening. Much sturdier than regular 'skeeter net and rolls up very nicely around the batten that stretches the vertical part down to the lip of the companionway. It's on its second screen now in about 40 years, first one had developed 4-5 slits which were a bit unsightly when sewed up; we just sewed a new one onto the canvas and then cut the old one away from under it. Not so elegant as the first one which was sandwiched into the canvas, but perfectly serviceable.

It occurs to me that some form of batten or stiffening rod might come in handy somewhere in constructing this thing.

* The forehatch screen is simply a square of screening stuck to the inside of the hatch, and I sewed sticky Velcro directly to a folded-over edge of it, all the way around. The other one has to attach to the outside of a 2 1/2 by say 4 1/2 foot lipped opening with an outside right-angle corner in the middle, no Velcro allowed, so it needs more structure. Just in case this is useful -- the heart of it is a tailored canvas corner pocket at each side of the turn of the opening. Going forward there's a grommeted canvas tab halfway along that slips over a screw-head in the side of the lip. There might be a (dowel) batten at this point, I forget; also maybe at the corner. All the way forward the edge is stiffened with a dowel and is shoved under the lip of the sliding hatch cover. Going down from the corner, there's a few inches of shock cord internally at the top with about a half-inch of give in the canvas, and a flat batten at the bottom with a couple 90-degree-bend s/s strips that stretch under the bottom lip of the opening. The batten has a pair of leather finger-handles inside and out that let you stretch it down to attach and detach. All or most of the structural stress is taken by canvas; the screen itself is snug but not really tight.

Yours, David