Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2010 17:01:06 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fridge Fun..... well, NEW fridge fun!
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

At 03:45 PM 5/20/2010, neil n wrote: >I had a 182A in my Canadian '81 and a spare 182B. Both were in/out of >my Westy several times, with combustion box opened/resealed several >times. > >182A, stock: flame went out early AM in camp. Cleaned jet with mild >acid/water solution, cleaned, resealed etc. No change. Thermal sensor >in combustion box quite frayed at end. That MAY have been issue.

Check the meter...it shows you what the thermocouple is doing. Wish the Bs had one. Next time...Dometic specify only alcohol and compressed air to be used on jet. A microscope is nice to see results if any.

>182A, 182B both blew out when driving. Made air dam for flue, both >then stayed lit more than 90% of the time. I have read that air dam is >not needed if all working right. All I can suspect is an improperly >assembled flue. But. Can't "see" how that would be. Seems it all goes >together one way.

Air leak. Somewhere. Try putting a pound or so of pressure in it through the drain and get busy with the soap suds. Block the outside end with modeling clay or summat. Or put the suds on and blast the outer fitting with an air hose from a foot or so away.

>Can the flue be assembled incorrectly but look correct? Anyone?

O-rings...also look for little cracks in the corrugated stuff. Combustion box window seal, thermocouple seal (can't remember if there is one) &c. The actual boiler tube is very unlikely to be the source, although in theory it could happen.

>As for flame going out when stationary, I've seen pics of the flame >operating just fine with combustion box entirely open. (bench tested).

Yup, run 'em for days that way. You have to bend stuff slightly to get the flame out from under.

>FWIW, I used Hi-temp RTV to make a gasket for combustion box.

The "Copper" stuff works great for that. Make sure to put the bead on, assemble the box leaving some thickness of RTV, then wait ten-fifteen minutes before snugging it up. You don't want to smash it flat.

Yours, David