Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 May 2010 09:34:47 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Headlight wiring for 80/100 bulbs
Comments: To: dvdclarksn@AOL.COM

The higher wattage bulbs really only provide an incremental improvement. The relays are nice as they bypass some of the switches and other wiring but most are not looking at the full current path in the Vanagon. The stock wiring is somewhat in adequate for these upgrades and you really need some wiring improvements to get the full benefit.

Let's look at the current path. First, while underway the alternator, not the battery is your power source. So we have 90 amp alternator, (yea!) but the wires from it to the starter-battery connection is like 2-10 gauge wires. Turn everything on and see how hot these wires can get. If you were installing a 100 amp service in your home you would be looking at 2 gauge and voltage drop is a lot less critical there. So now we go to the battery. There are two red wires going from the positive post to the fuse box area. Guess what! One goes to the fuse box for most everything and the other goes to the high speed radiator fan. Potential here to double up.

So when you get those big bulbs in there check the voltage at the bulbs with the 4 lights on and see what you really have.

The real improvement comes from the new lights, E-Code or not. After 10 years most headlights become useless due to the wear on the lenses and reflector discoloration. The E-codes work fine with the right bulbs.

Dennis