Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 May 2010 10:53:53 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need Reassurance on 82 Westy
Comments: To: cesar quiros <cesarquiros@HOTMAIL.COM>

The engine in your '72 while similar in some ways is not the same as in the '82. Yes, air cooled offers some simplicity but for the later engines having to deal with emissions controls and the increased weight and wind resistance of the Vanagon, that 2.0L engine is stressed. That price for a rebuild seems high but what is he rebuilding? If it is running now why does it need a rebuild or does it just need a repair?

Many have had great success with the air cooled engines. Driven and maintained they can provide good service. Unfortunately many new parts are almost extinct so all rebuilds are re-machined and welded parts such as the case and heads.

When these vans were new engine failures while under warranty was a problem. They quickly threw the Diesel in until the Waterboxer was ready.

Fuel economy is also not impressive.