Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 May 2010 11:41:52 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 91 Carat has the highway hick ups
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

While disconnecting the sensor can be a test, if there is a short between the sense wire and shield or the ground reference is bad, the problem can still be there. As for the sensor cooling theory my '87 is doing that now. Repeatable on colder mornings. From the factory the sensors had heat shields and the 1.9L engines had insulation over the sensor. As for air flow I do not know of any other vehicle with the O2 sensor located behind a rear tire. Also, most primary O2 sensors are located directly in the exhaust manifold, Not in a Cat just before the final muffler. VW goofed here. And the O2 sensor heaters do go bad.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:13 PM To: Dennis Haynes; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 91 Carat has the highway hick ups

very good point, of course the O2 sensor should always be considered.

also a fine test is to just unplug it. Vanagons run surprisingly well with it disconnected, not that I recommend that. but it's a useful test to take the 02 out of the picture..

as for air flow causing 02 sensors to get too cool while driving ... well, first, speaking of heated or non-heated 02 sensors ? and secondly .. there are countless cars and car designs where the 02 sensor is exposed to air flow, and they don't have problems, so I'm a little skeptical on that one.

Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> To: "'Scott Daniel - Turbovans'" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 8:40 PM Subject: RE: 91 Carat has the highway hick ups