Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 May 2010 11:06:57 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need pop-top canvas install tips
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@yahoo.com>

Robert, You're installing the canvas "in reverse order" from all the instructions that I've ever read. I installed 2, my own and helped a friend, both on '87 Syncro Westy's. We took the top off which makes this quite a bit easier ... better access to both removing and installing the canvas on the top. After applying the canvas to the top, we put the top back on the van, then again, started at the bottom front center, working outward to the corners, then back, using a 2X4 to prop the top up, leaving slack, which made screwing it down simple.

The instructions I've read all say to "center the front/top of the canvas by starting to apply it from the center outward to the front corners." All the adjustments then can be made at the rear where the canvas can't be seen. It was much easier to attach the bottom canvas section both standing in the camper bay, then laying on the top bunk without the cushions on (provides more room to work in the confined space in the back.)

I would NOT recommend doing anything to the canvas to modify it. I WOULD contact the retailer you got it from for any adjustments needed, but it's more likely that applying the canvas per instructions will result in a nice, snug canvas. The 2nd canvas I helped install turned out so tight, that it was very difficult to open the camper top all the way until it stretched over time. Even now, it's the tightest canvas I've ever seen .... looks great ... it's a BD Grey ... nice, dark grey canvas ... I'm envious.

bob