Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 May 2010 20:45:26 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: fuel tank outlet vs fuel filter inlet
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

Wix makes a lawn mower-looking metal fuel filter with 1/.2"x1/2" that I've had success using as a prefilter. Don't have the part number in front of me, but you can gothe back of the Wix catalogue and find a picture of it with part number.

DM&FS

At 08:05 PM 5/16/2010, craig cowan wrote: >You are correct in assuming that your van was designed not to use that >filter. The outlet on your tank is going to be 11mm, while the outlet on >'80-'84 vans is 7mm. Thus, these earlier vans require the prefilter to adapt >the size from the 7mm tank outlet to the 7mm input on the filter, then an >11mm line from the large end of the filter to the input of the fuel pump. >Then 7mm all after the fuel pump. > >Replacement tanks come with 11mm outlets. > >'85+ vans do not have the provisions for that prefilter without adapting the >11mm line down to a 7mm before the filter. This often causes cavitation >which results in a loud fuel pump, hence the reason why VW went to all 11mm >line upstream of the filter. > >My suggestion would be either search for a different manufacturer of large >particle prefilter with 11mm inputs and outputs, or just negate it. If your >tank is full of crap, your tank needs to be cleaned. >I just adapted my '85 to the '86+ style with the 11mm outlet on my new fuel >tank, so I've been there and been confused.... you're just going in the >opposite direction that I did. > > >-Craig >'85GL turned WESTY >BOSTIG in the back > >On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Peter DiFalco <peter.difalco@gmail.com>wrote: > > > I'm resealing the tank on my 89 today ... and yesterday (everything takes > > me > > 4X longer than regular people)... and anyway I am trying to reverse VW's > > bizarre decision to delete the large-particle pre-pump fuel filter (square > > one) and add one. So I bought the correct filter (at least according to the > > VW parts place) and I'm finding that the outlet on my fuel tank has a much > > larger ID than the inlet on the fuel filter. The outlet on the filter is > > actually larger, back up to the ID of the tank outlet, which matches the > > inlet on the fuel pump. > > > > So... either my fuel tank was specifically designed with a larger outlet to > > not use that filter and to plumb right to the fuel pump, or I bought the > > wrong fuel filter, or there's something else missing I can't imagine what. > > Please advise, oh wise list. > > > > I'm concerned that all my fuel tank manipulation and tilting and whatnot > > have dislodged some of those larger particles and I'd rather not send them > > through my fuel pump when I hook this sucker back up. > > > > One thing I'd thought of was picking up a PCV valve that has the two > > different diameter ports on it, and throwing it inline to step down the > > diameter prior to the filter. But I am not sure that randomly throwing > > valves around is a super good idea. > > > > -Peter > >