Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 May 2010 14:17:03 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need Reassurance on 82 Westy
Comments: To: cesar quiros <cesarquiros@HOTMAIL.COM>

hi, on your compression #'s there, if I read you right, you are saying 115, 80 , 130, and 75 are 'witiin spec' compression pressure #.s

I would say not, and that a 75 and an 80 ( the other two are within spec...which on gasoline engines is generally considered to be about 100psi ) .......so those two are 'scary low' almost ... expecially the 75. When you drive a worn out engine like this ... the oil gets contaiminated faster from the worn-outness, increasing wear even more. It wears itself out more because it's very tired.

a top end job is in order..or at least head work. Those engines are known for drobbing valve seats too.

So I would say ..suppossing it was 'I just need to get 500 miles more to home' ...then I'd say, sure, drive it nicely and you'll be all right.

but driving an air-cooled Vw engine with low compression on two cylinders just isn't that good a thing to do, it will just cost more the longer you don't do 'something' to it.

you might ...btw .. this could be way, way more than you want to even contemplate ... but you could go to a whole other engine .. say VW Jetta gasoline inline four ...........smooth, rugged, easy to find engine ... gets about 21 mpg or so, and goes decently. You need to install a whole radiator and cooling system .. and find diesel vanagon engine mounting parts ....but all that bolts together more or less, and makes a fine Vangaon . Many air-cooled vanagons have been converted to water-cooling ....quite a few actually. - commonly with either a diesel inline four cylinder water-cooled engine, or turbo diesel, or inline four cylinder gasoline .. or Subaru water-cooled engine ...all find conversions that can be quite rewarding to drive, go better, get better fuel economy, lower emissions and be more reliable than some stock models of vanagons.

it's one of your options....let's say that. Aloha, Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "cesar quiros" <cesarquiros@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:14 AM Subject: Re: Need Reassurance on 82 Westy

Thanks again for all the advice. I just purchased the vehicle a little bit ago and was told not to drive because the engine was blown it smoked in the Grapevine then it stall when hot and will not restart until it is cold again.

So I did a compression check on the cylinders and all within spec (Cyl 1 115psi, Cyl 2 80psi, Cyl 3 110psi, Cyl 4 75psi), I figured to do this before pulling the engine, good thing!

So I decided to drive it and put some gas in it and drive back home until it died and I could not start it again. Then I noticed fuel leaking from the tank. So maybe this leads me to think it is a fuel problem, besides the safety factor, could a not sealed tank cause the engine to not run right?

_________________________________________________________________ The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multiaccount&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4=