Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 May 2010 08:13:52 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Auxiliary REAR underseat Behr AC -- was 'Scored brand new
              Behr but missing switches'
Comments: To: BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com>

Yes a Doka interior is so much less air volume a normal in dash Behr unit would be perfect for that. The rear AC would definitely be too much. Maybe you can sell this rear AC unit to someone with a front Behr unit and then just keep looking for a normal one. There are always more surprises out there in the Vanagon world even when you have been at it as long as we have :-)

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

BenT Syncro wrote: > Ken, > > I have only seen this one other time. It seemed so odd that I thought > it was homemade. Now that I have an uninstalled unit along with the > Behr factory installation manual, it's hard to deny that the kits > existed. They even have templates for cutting the holes where the > ashtray is on the regular vans. There is also a template for cutting > the Westy panel. At least the odd looking vents make complete sense now. > > I no longer own any Westies. I had hoped to install a new in the box > Behr in-dash for my Doka. Now it looks like I have to instead put the > used unit in and supplement with the rear AC. I am thinking dual AC > might be total overkill in a Doka. > > > Regards, > > BenT > Sent from my mobile device > > On May 17, 2010, at 4:23 AM, Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net> wrote: > >> Ben, Wow! I never knew such a thing existed! I have seen and worked >> on a few of the Behr units over the years but to think that they >> actually made an under rear seat unit as well... It boggles the >> mind. I must have one! Then when I sit in the rear seat of my >> Vanagon while my chauffeur drives me and I eat anything dipped in >> Grey Poupon, I will never have to get hot on the back of my ankles >> ever again! Don't tell Tom Hanks because he would have to buy it for >> his Vanagon and that would spoil everything!!! Yes put it in a >> Westy and get cold back of the neck and cold feet at the same >> time!!! The possibilities are endless... >> >> I will go now. :-) >> >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com >> >> >> >> >> BenT Syncro wrote: >>> Wow, I am lame. Forgot the cardinal rule. RTM -- Read The Manual. >>> >>> I got so excited that I did not look inside the box and read the manual >>> first. The front page is a the dead giveaway. >>> Aside from the requisite branding information, it reads in large >>> capital >>> letters: >>> >>> 1984-85 VANAGON >>> REAR AUXILIARY EVAPORATOR >>> >>> >>> Sorry about the mis-information. I've never seen one uninstalled >>> until now. >>> I have seen one in a partsvan and mistakenly assumed that it was a >>> homemade >>> system. The installation manual clearly explains this is an auxiliary >>> evaporator for the in-dash Behr. However, the wording suggest that >>> it can be >>> used as a stand alone system. On Page 1:Instruction# 2, it states: >>> >>> " If vehicle is equipped with a Behr in-dash air conditioner, slowly >>> drain >>> the freon from existing system." >>> >>> Guessing if the vehicle is NOT equipped with the Behr in-dash, then it >>> suggest to me an install by itself. Obviously written during the era >>> when >>> global warming was not common knowledge. The instruction booklet is >>> dated >>> 10/08/84. Venting freon to the atmosphere was pretty common back in >>> those >>> olden days. >>> I would appear that the harness provided is designed to piggyback >>> onto the >>> in-dash Behr AC or whatever AC you have there. Hmmm.... kind of shot >>> down my >>> stand-alone theory. Anyway, here's more details for the curious. >>> >>> 1) Evap unit installs to the right of the rear heater under the bench >>> >>> 2) New vents are installed in side walls in vans. >>> >>> 3) On Westies, left vent goes on facia under bench. Round intake >>> goes on >>> opposite side of the same board. >>> >>> >>> >>> BenT >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> ORIGINAL POSTING BELOW >>> >>> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote: >>> >>> >>>> Just a got a brand spanking new Behr AC system except the switches are >>>> missing. Does anyone have any spare Behr switches for sale? >>>> >>>> All the previous Behr's and the DPD clones I've owned had vents which >>>> terminate at the radio opening. This one came with what appears to >>>> be two >>>> side vents. I haven't finished unpacking yet but will look over the >>>> manuals. >>>> The box was hand-labelled "84-85 Vanagon AC". >>>> >>>> I'm pretty stoked about this purchase and anxious to install in my >>>> Doka. I >>>> will be selling my used DPD & Behr AC evaporators as soon as I am >>>> sure parts >>>> won't be needed to complete the one I just got. >>>> >>>> (special note to the smart basses in the list. no i am not looking >>>> for Behr >>>> parts such as Behr gallstones, or Behr claws, or Behr arse. No Behr >>>> parts >>>> period). >>>> >>>> >>>> ;-) >>>> >>>> >>>> BenT >>>> >>> >>> >