Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 May 2010 18:51:55 -0400
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Pump Alternative
Comments: To: John Goubeaux <john@UCSB.EDU>

Hi The Fuel pump that 1st failed was OEM Bosch on my vanagon but it was making noise even with a New filter and nothing plugging it in the tank. it would whine and had all sorts of other noises going on with it. The pump that is on it now is New Bosch about 1 month old, Actually 5 years old but installed 1 month ago so sorta NOS. It was great then started acting up. Usually when I just turn on the ignition it will make a thump sorta noise. It would instead do a hum for a few seconds and cut out. I just put a cheap in line fuel gauge on it and it showed NO pressure. I then had a helper bump the ignition ( not turning it over ) and the fuel pump was getting power. during the few second bump I would tap on the pump with the plastic handle of a screw driver. After a few tries it came up in pressure and fired up like it should. I will need to get a spare just not sure when. But had the question of interchange on the thing since I have found them for 50 bones that say they will fit but says it is for a 80s era Ford. Just thought for sure I could not be the only one going down this road, or be the 1st to encounter this issue. Just check your fuel pressure. I had on one of the engines installed in my 85 westy a fuel gauge in the engine compartment. It would show pressure all the time, Also was a bit lazy to run it up to the front of the Van. Worked great and always worked so took fuel pressure off of the list of issues by a quick glance of the guage. So, all I had to worry about was air and fire. Never had an issue with air other then Air Leaks. Good luck C-ya Jonce