Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 May 2010 09:04:29 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      cleaning camper upholstry

What is a good cleaner? I've just installed a used jump seat that could use a good scrubbing, for both general dirt, and a couple of nasty looking spots. I know, I can just go to a store and get something that claims to be good for such, but this vanagon seat fabric is a bit different from most. For one thing, it is viscose, a fabric not used much nowdays in this age of polyester and other more modern plastics.

Also need to paint the metal parts of the jump seat. What primer and paint do you folks recommend?

BTW, I got the seat from Van Cafe, complete with bracket and floor fittings. Had the floor fittings welded in, and bolted the bracket in to the passenger side seat pedestal. Peter of Van Cafe provided me a diagram that shows exact dimensions for the installation. Works great, solid feeling, no rattle. Folds up properly (release lever intact) and fits in and out nicely. For whomever was concerned about the "finish appearance" when using the welded fittings, and thus planned to go with hollow head allen bolts, my installations looks like it came from the factory that way. The recessed cups to hold the chair pins are the only thing showing above the vinyl factory floor, and they are level with it. The floor is perfectly level and uniform. I have a rubber mat from GoWesty, and I think I can take the chair out, lay the mat in place, and cut holes through the mat that will exactly match the cups.

I did have to move the fire extinguisher. I put it on the seat pedestal behind the jump seat, where it fits fine. Makes the slider door screen fit better, too.

The chair has a standard lap belt, but I am considering a 3-point belt from GoWesty. Anyone installed one of those? Easy enough to do? I realize that the jump seat passenger is facing to the rear, so is less likely to be dislodged in a front end collision than forward facing occupants, but rear and side collisions are still possible. I also realize there is no dash or steering wheel for the jump seat occupant to collide with, but ........ . I also think I will put 3-point belts on the rear bench, even though the occupants there also do not face a dash or steering wheel. All strapped in is just more solid feeling and safer, I believe. After all, these vehicles lack some in the safety department at best, as someone else has said.

-- David McNeely