Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 May 2010 21:52:20 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 4 speed/5 speed shifter
Comments: To: Jeff <vw.doka@gmail.com>

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Jeff <vw.doka@gmail.com> wrote:

> You have to push down on the shifter to get 1st gear if you use a 4 speed > linkage on a 5 speed transmission. > > > >

> Hmmm, that must mean I have a 4sp linkage on my 5sp trans...because you > 'sort of' have to push down to get the really low first gear. If you go > from reverse to first, directly, it just glides through, the way my van's > shifter works.(since it is already pushed down to get reverse?)..but if > you're sitting there in another gear or neutral, it helps if you put some > down pressure on the lever as you select first gear directly. Going from > first to second, you simply have to push the lever forward and it 'jumps > through' the H pattern...rather than going into reverse, like the shift > pattern would be, according to the diagram on the knob.. I seldom need to > use my first gear...I use it mainly on uphill starts or very steep terrain > or on extra rough terrain...I usually start out in second gear in normal > situations..

For information, my inline four (92 1.8 liter Jetta/Golf/Rabbit motor) turns at 3700 rpm when the van is cruising at 65mph on stock 14" wheels with 185 tires..thats about perfect power range for my motor, perhaps that rpm would be a bit wound-out for a WBX boxer motor. My power delivery starts to drop off at around 5500 rpms on this motor and I don't like to ask it to deliver at below about 2700rpm, though it will pull smoothly from about 1200 on if I 'lug it'..Probably asking too much, lugging it badly, for those little pistons and rods designed to move a car rather than a ~5000# small truck-sized vehicle... I think the 5sp is a big factor in why my van work so well for me. I'd guess an inline gas VW motor in a 4sp or an auto van would be no improvment on the stock motor and probably difficult to drive comfortably.. Don Hanson