Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2010 08:55:31 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 88 front & rear steel brake lines size
Comments: To: Caroline Cote <cotc03@HOTMAIL.COM>

Caroline,

Napa should stock lengths of the brake line you need (my local one does). Just take an old line end down there with you to match it up for proper line size, fitting size and bubble flare end. Measure all of the lines you are going to need (length) then try matching this up to the lengths that Napa has. They are not going to match exactly so get the new lines a little longer (you can always bend or loop them if need be). The longest pipe you are going to need to make out of two pipes and then join them in the middle with a coupler. I have done this many times and it works very well. Don't obsess about bending the new pipes exactly the same way and routing them exactly as the old ones. As long as they reach and you can support them so they don't chafe and our out of harms way, who really cares? Are you or anyone else every going to lay on your back and marvel at your exactly replicated bends, etc. ? Of course not. Once you free yourself from that constraint it makes the whole job much easier. Cut the old lines right at the fitting and then use an 11mm deep well six point socket to remove them. This usually works on extremely rusted fittings and since you are going to throw the old lines and fittings away, who cares? When I first started doing this I bought the special flaring tool from Napa (around $100) then the fittings and lines from VW and flared and made up my own lines. This took many hours of tedious labor and was expensive. The Napa lines are factory made so all of the ends are perfect and you can buy enough to do your entire van for less than $80. Removing and installing them should take three to four hours. You can leave lengths of the old line in place if you want and tie wrap the new to it, just be sure the ends are not sharp or going to poke a person or another hose under the van (make the ends safe by cutting them short, not leaving jagged ends).

That is about it. This is not a fun job but if you do it the way I describe you will not find it difficult either.

HTH, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Caroline Cote wrote: > Hi, > > Yesterday, I bought a Vanagon GL Full camper 88 in Quebec City - lovely blue with touch ups paint! But the brakes lines died during the CAA inspection before I bought it! It's ok, I've got the price reduced and now the van was safely towed to my uncle's garage (about 1h30 from my place)... > > But I have a brake job to do and the long weekend looks appealing! I want to replace all brake lines front & rear, master cylinder, rear pads, drums and cylinders. Got all parts ordered from NAPA finally, except for the brake lines... > > Since I do not have the van in my driveway and all my repair manuals are on their way... May I ask what size & length of steel brake lines do I need? > > I found that it might be "10mm x 1.0 pitch" from a thread on the samba (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4154085&highlight=brake+lines#4154085), but not sure it's not just for syncro and if it apply to both front & rear?? > > Thanks a lot, > > Caroline > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > > > Caroline Côté > > > > still unnamed Blue 88 Westy > Günther - VW Squareback 69 > > www.igloovert.com > > > Montréal, Qc, Canada > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Win $10,000 from Hotmail! Enter Here. > http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9729708 >