Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2010 09:07:21 -0400
From:         Blake Sartin <sartin@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Help! I need a transmission!

Well, my '84's transmission decided to stop acting correctly last week.

I was driving down the highway and very suddenly it decided that 4th gear was no longer an option. I got it in third with a lot of muscle, and drove home mostly in 1-2 with a couple of forays into 3rd. At home, engine off, it shifts 1-2 fine, 3rd is a struggle and 4th is a blank wall. I disconnected the linkage and tried to move it by hand at the trans. Same result.

I assume that the 3-4 slider is gone, so I am trying to locate a used trans to get me through another couple of years until I can afford a rebuilt one.

If anyone knows of one within reasonable distance of Knoxville, TN (or one that can be shipped if cheap enough) PLEASE let me know! I need a 4-speed. I don't care if it's the 83-85 ratio or the later one. I don't think the aircooled ones would work. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the topic could be more clear.

Thanks again.

Blake Sartin '84 Vanagon (base) Maryville, TN