Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2010 10:17:06 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Totally NEW Add-A-Room for Vanagons - Answering your Questions
Comments: cc: Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>,
          Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>,
          blake klein <blakeklein22@GMAIL.COM>,
          Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@yahoo.com>

The tent can attach in various ways. On a Vanagon, you would generally attach it via a pole clamped inside the rain gutter (a common method for side tents that is very simple yet effective - see http://busdepot.com/images/parts/J12003.jpg ). We have optional mounts for Eurovans (which don't have rain gutters) that are linked from www.busdepot.com/details/addaroom.jsp . If you have a stationary object that can wrap a strap around, our velcro strap kit (http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=VSTRAP) can alternatively be used to hold the rain gutter pole to the side of the vehicle. We also have another mount that allows you to attach it via the rain gutter lip (http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=J12016). This is left over from the Spacemaker tent and I haven't tested this one with the new unit, but will try to within the next week or so.

> Will it work with an Apollo awning on the van? > Will this work on pax vans as well?

I'm not familiar with the Apollo awning, and only somewhat familiar with the Mercedess van. If you can email me a picture of the side door area of your vehicle I can probably answer this.

> will the attached floor cover the gap under the vehicle so the > entire space will be bug free?  That has always been the most > difficult obstacle to overcome in my tentative plans to fabricate > such an enclosure.

There is really no way to achieve a perfect seal, especially if the same unit is to be useable on a wide variety of VW campers. Not only are there differences in heights and dimensions between Buses, Vanagons, and Eurovans, but even within Vanagons there are significant ride height variations due to taller Syncro springs, etc. This changes the exact location of the slliding door. I have addressed this issue in several ways. First of all, the entry door to the van opens a couple of different ways. You can roll just the left or right half up independently, roll the whole thing up, or remove it entirely. This maximizes the flexibility in lining the opening up to the vehicle door. I was even able to get mine to line up such that I could still use the passenger front door, which is rare on a side tent. Secondly, the side walls that create the vestibule between the Add-A-Room and the Vanagon are elasticized and can be staked down at the bottom, so you can get a pretty good fit from tent to vehicle. I have placed a picture of this at <http://www.busdepot.com/details/images/vestibule.JPG>. That still leaves the area below the sliding door, which is pretty much impossible to seal. I have included a wind break that can be angled to alter its height to match your vehicle height, which will help fill in that area. It will not make a perfect seal but it is better than most models which have nothing there at all. When night falls and bugs are more prevalent, I usually attach my sliding door mosquito screen (which we sell) or just shut the sliding door between uses. Of course the canvas entry door also zips closed.

> Gonna pre order a brown one. what's the > dimensions of it packed up and the weight?

Cutting weight means cutting corners, so this is always a tough call. I will say straight off that I did choose quality over "lightweightness" on this design. Although we have sold nylon dome side tents that are much lighter weight and smaller, I rejected that in favor of a canvas-on-frame design because it is FAR more durable and allows infinitely more configuration options. This is built to last years and years without ripping or bending a pole, and you can't do that and make it 15 lbs. My gold standard for quality was a German Vanagon side tent that I have used for many years now and keep coming back to. It cost me about $600 used when I bought it some years ago, and it's bulletproof. I have used it hundreds of times over the years (not to mention the use its first owner gave it) and it's as solid as the day it was new. When the factory gave me samples of my tent for approval, that is what I compared them to. I did reduce the fabric weight a bit, because the original German tent (which nearly 100 lbs) was overkill, but in general when weight loss meant quality loss I opted for quality. In the end I shaved roughly 30 lbs off of the too-heavy German tent, plus added a floor and other features, without a significant sacrifice in quality. That is as much as could be done without cutting corners, but admittedly it still makes for a heavy tent. If small and lightweight is what you want, we have our Ezy-Awning, which is $119, packs tiny, and weighs nothing. I use both - the Ezy-Awning for day trips and a side tent for weekend or longer trips. Currently we're running a promo (www.busdepot.com/details/addaroom.jsp) where you get the Ezy-Awning for $79 with purchase of the Add-A-Room.

The outer tent bag is roughly 4 x 2 x 2 feet when packed (this from memory, not precise). However, inside that bag, the poles and the sleeping cabin are in their own bags, so you could break them into three smaller lighter bags instead of one big heavy one. The total shipping weight will be roughly 70 lbs with all accessories, but that includes packaging. As an alternative to breaking it into three smaller, lighter bags, you could also reduce overall size and weight by leaving some of the optional parts you didn't plan to use (floor, sleeping cabin, awning poles) at home and just bringing the canvas and frame.

While I didn't size it down much, I did make it faster and easier to assemble. You still need two people to assemble it because it's a 10 foot tent, but you can do it very quickly. Most of the poles are sprung together so they can only go up one way. It will probably take you more time to get everything out of the bags than it will to assemble it. You can have the frame up in five minutes, and have the canvas on it in another five. (That can take 20-30 minutes on some side tents.) At that point it's already fully functional, and it's just a matter of configuring it as you want it - putting the floor in or not, putting the sleeping cabin in or not, raising or lowering various sides or extending the awnings, etc..

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT