Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2010 23:15:47 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: pilot bearing... do i need to replace the main seal?
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

If you have to go deep and remove the flywheel, it's a good time to take preventive measures and replace the seal. The list vendors do sell the seal. When you seat the seal, make sure that it is flush with the case. That is all that is required. Some say to seat it deeper, but sometimes you simply can't, and it's not necessary. But it is necessary that it be at least flush - no part of it sticking up. Be sure as you drive it in, that you have a tool that is sufficient in diameter to push along the edge of the seal exactly or you can damage it. Treat it the same as you would a race for a wheel bearing. Using an old race, you place the old race against the new race and hammer against the old race which in turn drives the new race home. Same with the flywheel seal.

Look inside the hle in the center of the flywheel. There should be a bushing in there. This bushing is there to hold the felt pilot bearing grease seal in place and prevent dirt and grit from gettin into the bearing. Without the bushing, early failure of the bearing could be the likely result. Some say it is not necessary - but I believe it is, or the engineers would not have put it there in the design. With the flywheel out, you might want to work over the surface to remove any glaze or polished areas in order for the clutch disk to get a better grip. Speaking of clutches - inspect the clutch disk carefully. Now would be a good time to replace that if needed.

Regards,

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 5/20/2010 10:34 PM, pickle vanagon wrote: > I dropped the tranny today and found my exploded pilot bearing. So tomorrow > I'll be removing the flywheel (which looks like its in great shape---at > least on the tranny side) to swap out the bearing. Since I'm removing the > flywheel, do I also need to do the main seal and associated things (some > kind of felt washer??) or should I leave it since its not leaking? Looking > in the archives, it seems some people have had problems after putting in the > aftermarket seals. The dealer doesn't still sell the seals, do they? > > Thanks guys, > Wes > > >