Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2010 21:56:56 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Material to fill the seams
Comments: To: Gilles H Turmel <gilles.turmel@SYMPATICO.CA>

do a search on the samba, lots of opinions, old terry Kay's opinion I think hold water, he writes (excerpts from this thread http:// www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php? t=240691&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=terry+kay)

> Here's the way I found to permanently stop the seam rust issue. > > Mask off the seams---right to either edge. > Get ahold of a spot sand blaster with a convex tip on it. > > Run the sandblaster right down the seam sealer. > It'll remove all of the rust/ old sealer clean and comlete with no > damage to either side of the seams. > > Now , go to any Auto Body supply store-- purchase some 3-M body > panel adhesive. > > Your gonna need the gun with it too. > > Re-mask the seams tight, and run a bead of the body panel adhesive > down each seam. > > Let it cure overnight, & pull the tape. > > The body panel adhesive is bullet proof, displaces moisture, and > your all done but the refinishing of the seams. > > Mask them again and either spray the paint on , or run a brush with > the right color on it. > Spraying the paint on will give you a factory , original look. > > This seam repair approach will outlast the Van. > > Grinding the old seam sealer / rust out is too aggresive, and will > more than likely damage more than your repairing. > > The spot sand blasting will get it all in 1/4 of the time.

and then a response: > . > . > > hmm TK last time you then suggested > http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php? > t=215705&highlight=coat+zinc+chromate > I then layed a coat of zinc chromate, seif etching primer on the > bonded area's. > Let it sit overnight & scuff it with 180. > > Over the top of than I used Dupont Uro Prime with a flex agent in it. > It acts as a plastic bag primer sealer over the repaired area's. > > The benifit of using this primer sealer is that it isn't a talic > based product > It's urethane. > It won't suck up any moistue, it's flexable, and chip resistant.

and Terry replied: