Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 2010 05:59:04 +0100
From:         Arkady Mirvis <arkadymirvis@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Woes
Comments: To: Jim Johnston <inmytree1@GMAIL.COM>

One has to look at Vanagon from under to understand why Germans lost the WW II. Nothing made in Germany is simple. When I do maintenance and even minor repair on my 1991 diesel Jetta and 1987 Westy my frustrations are expressed in words one can hear a mile away during the hottest hours of portuguese day. Access to practically everything is limited at least. By now my Westy, while looking new outside has every boot everywhere rotted, falling apart, including the shifter ball boot. Both rear door grommets are gone. Germans must learn how to chrome plate plastics. I am positive that everybody, except living in a rain forest, noticed how wood inside Westy has shrunk, got out of flatnest. Look at wood furniture plastic trim. It srunked, got out of the securing groove. Is that a heralded GERMAN ENGINEERING? In just the first year I wrote to VW AG a letter listing 18 defects. ( both window motors failed, AC lost freon and compressor failed, propane leaked out, headlight switch, heater switches both melted, odometer stopped counting, original Continental tires horribly cracked.....and on and on. Is there anyone on the list who doesn't have broken wires in the harness connecting the doors with the body? One has to read the the messages appearing on my inbox list to see that Vanagon is an owner headache and a blessing for the reapairmen. Till the last Vanagon will be scrapped they shall not worry about the security of their jobs! Convenience Vanagon offers carries a heavy price. Read the message below mine and see for yourself reading the last sentense. Ark ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Johnston" <inmytree1@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 4:27 AM Subject: Manual Shifter Woes