Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 2010 00:08:51 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: pilot bearing... do i need to replace the main seal?
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@gmail.com>

I think that video used to be on the Bostig site. I have a downloaded copy too.

Tell you what, I've uploaded it to: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=844b88cfe6ebf8b2ab1eab3e9fa335cad36d28ca58c44519

Spooky to have Bob still installing flywheels...vaya con Dios

Jake

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@gmail.com>wrote:

> There's a great video out there featuring the late Boston Bob with Jim > Akiba > on how to do the seal; I have the video on my computer but I don't know the > link for it online. Many folks just replace the seal while they're in there > so as to hopefully avoid pulling all that apart when it fails at a later > date. Perhaps someone can post the link, or you might find it in the > archives. > > Cya, > Robert > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > pickle vanagon > Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:35 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: pilot bearing... do i need to replace the main seal? > > I dropped the tranny today and found my exploded pilot bearing. So > tomorrow > I'll be removing the flywheel (which looks like its in great shape---at > least on the tranny side) to swap out the bearing. Since I'm removing the > flywheel, do I also need to do the main seal and associated things (some > kind of felt washer??) or should I leave it since its not leaking? Looking > in the archives, it seems some people have had problems after putting in > the > aftermarket seals. The dealer doesn't still sell the seals, do they? > > Thanks guys, > Wes >

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie'

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27