Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 2010 06:51:51 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Woes

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:05 PM, levi hawkins <b1levi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ah. So, what you're saying is you like your vanagon. > Yeah, me too. > > > > > > > --- On Thu, 5/20/10, Arkady Mirvis <arkadymirvis@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > From: Arkady Mirvis <arkadymirvis@GMAIL.COM> > Subject: Vanagon Woes > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 9:59 PM > > One has to look at Vanagon from under to understand why Germans lost the WW > II. Nothing made in Germany is simple. When I do maintenance and even minor > repair on my 1991 diesel Jetta and 1987 Westy my frustrations are expressed > in words one can hear a mile away during the hottest hours of portuguese > day. Access to practically everything is limited at least. >

Since this is Friday and some off Vanagon posts are tolerated..So here is some...

You should be glad your German car is a Vanagon and not a Porsche. Talk about a maintenance nightmare! Porsches are the Prime Example of how to make things very very intricate and complex for no apparent reason and then bury that complexity under many other layers of mechanisims that must be first removed to access whatever you need to reach. There are dozens of 'systems' that are interdependent, too, for no apparent logical reason...meaning you might eventually trace a problem with your ignition to a relay that controls another relay that might be hooked to a faulty sensor in say....the tire stem or the rear wiper warning light relay...Un-farking-believable! The Porsche 928 Factory Manual is contained in a meagre 14 full sized volume set of books. There are appx. 80 Bosch relays arranged in an Arcane way in the "power supply center" (what would be the fuse box in a Vanagon) and that 'lives' behind and below a secondary heater, just under the airconditioned glove box...(the heater often leaks into the fuse panel...causing +really difficult+ electrical glitches to show up. The wiring diagrams are contained in 3 (maybe 4) full 60-page plus volumes of the Factory Manual... Porsche dealers will not even accept a Porsche 928 for repair...If you need new sparkplugs in a P. Boxster, you must remove the motor to install them. When one of my 928 racecar motors broke a (brand new) timing belt--I ended up with 28 bent valves...at about $60 per valve...Try getting 4 cams properly timed on the same belt, too...That's fun... In order to even look under a Porsche you need to first jack it up...after you figure out where the jack may be hidden and how to work the 'marvelousy engineered' device...Then you must remove the 'belly pans'...installed with about 30 fasteners of widely assorted type and obscure location...I especially loved the 7mm ones that took a 1/4 drive deep socket on a 6" extension and a universal after you found them in their tunnels..45 minutes to an hour just to get a look under the vehicle..Did I mention they are notorious oil squirters, too?

Just sayin.. .Yah, the Vanagon has some quirks but it's a pleasure compared to the P-cars..

Don Hanson