Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 2010 15:12:44 -0400
From:         Robert Downes <bobdownes@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      vanagon wheels in Alaska?

Hello there, list! this is my first message to what appears to be a fine community. sorry if i'm long-winded, thanks for being here.

After acquiring my first VW last year, a 1983 Vanagon L diesel, i made the trip from florida to alaska this spring for a summer job on a hodge-podge of ill-suited but free tires and stock 14" rims and arrived confident in my suspension/brake overhaul and all the work i've put into the transplanted Quantum 1.6l TD, but acutely aware of the need for better wheels/tires. so i'm weighing my options for a new set of shoes before i make the trek back south this fall.

i am very interested in a set of larger steel wheels (new alloys are slightly out of my price range) but i am having trouble talking myself into the cost of shipping them up here. SO, my question is this: anybody know of a source for wheels in alaska? the options i'm considering are buying a set of these 16"-ers<http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1263_341/16_inch_steel_wheel.html> and getting someone from a rideshare to cart them up for me; and getting new rubber for the 14s and trying to re-sell it, probably on this list, when i get down to cali. one blessing is that nokian tires are readily available up here. so, if there's anyone interested in pre-ordering 4 nice tires, mounted and balanced on stock 14" rims with about 4000 miles of wear, available october-ish, i'd love to hear from you too.

i know the whole tires/wheels issue is pretty overworked on here but i thought my own spin on an old favorite would be a good way to introduce myself. i really appreciate any advice you guys have for me.

enjoy your weekend! and, seriously, THANK you for participating in this community. -bob