Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 2010 13:11:33 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: pilot bearing... do i need to replace the main seal?
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

HI, assuming you are talking about a waterboxer vanagon, and not a diesel or air-cooled one ...

Whether you do the rear main seal or not 'depends'. if it's leaking.....of course. if it looks a hundred years old......yes. if it looks fine no signs of leaks .....I leave those alone ,,,'depending.' If it's 2.1 ..be extra careful replacing the RMS as there is a part that can fall out of place and things are jammed up when you tighten down the flywheel.. doing the RMS also gets you into checking the crankshft end play...if you care to check that, and adjust end play while you are there ... so 'depending' it can turn in a bit of a project there, with some risks if you have a 2.1 See Boston Bob's video on it. the only thing I don't 110 % agree with in that viedio is he's putting in the pilot bearing felt seal. I read to soak them in oil somewhere, and that's what I do.

on the pilot bearing. Something I commonly find is the little metal ring that keeps the felt seal in place is missing. It appears to me people send the flywheel out for resurfacing, the machine shop takes that part out, they loose it, the tech doesn't notice or care it's missing ... so it goes together with no felt seal to protect the pilot brg, then that goes out in about 3 years. I have a stack of waterboxer flywheels with that metal ring missing, and it's not a part you can get. You can also use a diesel vanagon pilot bearing that has a convettional rubber 'lip' type seal built right into it.

on Surfacing .. I don't surface every last flywheel. Not at all. They can only be resurfaced so many times. 'most of the time' ... I clean them up with waterproof 180 grit black sandpaper and carb cleaner .....break that glaze. If it's badly turned blue, or obvious cracks...then resurface for sure. Be careful that the dowls that located the pressure plate stay where they belong. I find vanagons with pressure plates mounted on flywheels with no dowel pins locating the pressure plate now and then - that can't be good for balance. In a diesel vanagon it's critical since the timing marks for the injection timing on are on the pressure plate, so it has to be where it belongs.

what I try to do is stike the perfect balance between 'doing everything' and 'just enough.' I don't believe that 'doing everyting' is always right ...sometimes the parts replaced are cheaper than what came out... and every labor operation introduces opportunities for mistakes...like that 2.1 end play thing where a part can get out of place going together if you are not careful and know what you are doing. oh..the ONLY clutch I recommend is the common Sachs set...they are german sachs original clutches rebuilt in Mexico .. they work just fine. I would not use a Luk, clutch set.

oh ....'it's not the parts, it's the Workmanship' .....that's where you get your result, from very careful workmanship. The parts used are almost incidental to the process. Yes, you need to use quality parts , and the right parts... but how you assemble them is about 90 % of where you get your good , or bad, result from.

I hope yours works out perfectly ! just do good work..... What I call 'just the right thing' ....like no more, no less, but what is exactlyh appropiate in your particular flywheel/rear main seal/clutch situation. And of course, you will always get differnt opinions, like some people will say *always* resurface the flywheel, for example. I say 'it depends.'

Scott www.turbovans.com Doer of possibly a thousand clutch jobs on all kinds of cars, and countless vanagons.

----- Original Message ----- From: "pickle vanagon" <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:34 PM Subject: pilot bearing... do i need to replace the main seal?