Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 May 2010 09:17:46 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      The Red Brick does it again!!!

Mark up one more for the road in a Vanagon.

Made a nice little trip on a three day weekend just past. Drove up to Mentone, AL, Elev. 1870 feet, a quaint little town in the foothills of the Appalachian Mtns, up in the northeast corner of Alabama, where there was a Rhododendron festival this weekend. Had in tow Sweet Thang and her Mother. Made for an interesting weekend, visiting craft shows, lunch at the unique restaurants, viewing the rhododendrons, mountain laurel, and other wildflowers. For Alabama there were spectacular views across the valleys. Made it over to DeSoto Falls at the head of Little River Canyon. So far as I know, the Little River is the only river on top of a mountain in the US - a wonderfully scenic place. We stopped in at a place called Miracle Pottery - a very nice pottery shop with locally made had thrown pottery of every description. I collect coffee mugs so just had to one. Having my morning coffee in it now as I type.

The Red Brick ran flawlessly for the whole trip. I lost track of the mileage, but we used 21 gallons on the trip at a cost of approx. $55. @ $2.69/$2.75 per gal.

Alabama has it's fair share of idiot drivers. Some fool ran a stop sign and I near T-boned him. There was tire squalling and black-mark skidding, and travel goods all over the inside of the van but I managed to get stopped - with 24 inches to spare. The ladies were slung against the seat belts but no one was hurt. I'd just as soon not repeat the event - EVER! It's gong to take me all day today and several cans of cone remover to get the cone out of the driver seat!

But a great trip. Mentone is a place to visit! Wonderful Fall Colors Festival in the fall time.

John

-- John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com