Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 May 2010 17:47:30 -0400
From:         Jack Reynaert <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      2.1L engine failure?

Not sure what happened, but as we were following our friends 90 Westy "automatic" on the highway, their motor just stopped as they were traveling at 70MPH.

About 60k miles on the engine.

Good thing we were behind them in our Westy, as we were able to transfer their stuff as they had it towed to a foreign car mechanic we found on Autohaus (only 6 miles from their breakdown), had a nice dinner in Grand Ledge MI, and drove them home to Detroit.

No warning lights, no overheat, full battery power... when we pulled the motor cover, both fan belts were off the motor and the starter wouldn't turn the motor.

Nothing leaking from below.

There was a tapping sound upon acceleration, but that went away, and didn't make the sound when in Park with engine rev.

Sounds like a catastrophic failure eh?

If the motor has failed, we will likely go with the Bostig conversion.

Any ideas what might have happened, based on the clues above?!?

Thanks!

Jack R.

84 Westy

On behalf of our Friends